Thread: Using HDMI cable but the screen looks smaller than it should be, is it normal?

Exclamation Using HDMI cable but the screen looks smaller than it should be, is it normal?

Hi I just bought the Sapphire HD7970 3GB OC version.

I connect my PC on a Monitor (LG, FLATRON w2486L 24" 1920x1080) using HDMI cable. When i finish downloading latest drivers and catalyts, and reboot my PC, the screen appeared small and has not utilised the whole screen of the monitor. Is this normal????

But when i use DVI to connect, the screen went back to normal size.

Or is there anything i miss out during the configuration?

Anyone can give some advise please?
    Last edited by lyungmau; 05-03-2012 at 06:28 AM.

Sounds like an scaling issue. Open Catalyst Control Center, go to "My Digital Flat-Panels", scaling options, select your monitor, and put the slider to 0%.
    Personal PC: Sapphire Pure Black X79N | CrossFireX: Sapphire HD7950 OC Edition x2 (@ 1050/1450 MHz) | i7-3960X (@ 4.4GHz) | 8GB Patriot Viper X-Treme DDR3-1600 / 8GB Samsung Green DDR3-1600 (CAS 8) | Patriot Wildfire 120GB / WD Cavier Blue 1TB / WD Cavier Blue 80GB | Thermaltake ToughPower XT Platinum 1275 Watt | Thermaltake Water2.0 Extreme (2x Corsair SP120s) | Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition | Thermaltake Black ELEMENT Mouse | Thermaltake MEKA G1 Keyboard

Yeah its scaling.

Its annoying how AMD doesn't have flat panel scaling set to 0% by default.

Hey thanks guys... it works... This is the first time i'm using AMD graphic card. beginning to like it.. haha...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Ditters View Post
    Yeah its scaling.

Its annoying how AMD doesn't have flat panel scaling set to 0% by default.

It's for compatibility reasons seeing as some people use HDTVs as their HDMI output .. there'd be more threads about it if they didn't

Quote Originally Posted by Gr33nGecko View Post
    It's for compatibility reasons seeing as some people use HDTVs as their HDMI output .. there'd be more threads about it if they didn't
    I have mine hooked up to a 1080p tv and have tried different tvs every time I install drivers I have to set the scaling to zero. I don't know why they presume that TVs and any thing using HDMI won't display at the correct size.

It seems like that should be automatic, just like it is for monitors.

Because it's a general setting for compatibility reasons .. AMD's Beta driver tester "spyre" over on the AMD Game forums has answered this a hundred times or more, it's for general compatibility as TVs and monitors are different and have different sets of EDIDs etc, so to avoid a scenario wherein the screen is impossible to manipulate due to things not showing because of image size etc, it's set like that so that you can see everything so as to be able to set it full screen ( paraphrasing here, but that's the general gist ) .. Can you imagine the outcry if the screen was too large to be able to see things to reduce it .. ? As I said, there'd be more threads about it if it wasn't done that way .. if it was possible to do it auto, then I would have though that their R&D team would have made it so with the drivers etc .. HDTVs are NOT PC Monitors, that's why it's set as it is.

There is more annoyed issue about scaling. When i set my monitor to 60hz 1920x1080, and set catalyts scaling to 0%, the windows show full screen but when i play crysis 2 it goes back to smaller screen size.

But luckily i found this website http://ntsblog.homedev.com.au/index....mi-connection/
    I have to change my monitor setting to 50hz instead of 60hz in order to get full screen size. But starcraft2, i can play it with full screen at 60hz or 50hz no problem. I don't know other games. Will I have to change the setting again if another games that does not support 50hz or 60hz? This is quite worrying and annoying if i have to change the setting everytime to play a different games.

Anythought?

Yeah, unfortunately that seems to be a problem with the drivers or the coding of the game itself. (At least you have a solution in place ^-^)

But for this problem, please fill out this survey for AMD's Catalyst Crew:
    http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D27E29B0E3

I also believe that a lot of these problems can be bypassed if you use DVI instead of HDMI. (So if you have a spare DVI cable lying around and a spare DVI port on your card/monitor, I highly suggest you test that.)
    Personal PC: Sapphire Pure Black X79N | CrossFireX: Sapphire HD7950 OC Edition x2 (@ 1050/1450 MHz) | i7-3960X (@ 4.4GHz) | 8GB Patriot Viper X-Treme DDR3-1600 / 8GB Samsung Green DDR3-1600 (CAS 8) | Patriot Wildfire 120GB / WD Cavier Blue 1TB / WD Cavier Blue 80GB | Thermaltake ToughPower XT Platinum 1275 Watt | Thermaltake Water2.0 Extreme (2x Corsair SP120s) | Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition | Thermaltake Black ELEMENT Mouse | Thermaltake MEKA G1 Keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by lyungmau View Post
    There is more annoyed issue about scaling. When i set my monitor to 60hz 1920x1080, and set catalyts scaling to 0%, the windows show full screen but when i play crysis 2 it goes back to smaller screen size.

But luckily i found this website http://ntsblog.homedev.com.au/index....mi-connection/
    I have to change my monitor setting to 50hz instead of 60hz in order to get full screen size. But starcraft2, i can play it with full screen at 60hz or 50hz no problem. I don't know other games. Will I have to change the setting again if another games that does not support 50hz or 60hz? This is quite worrying and annoying if i have to change the setting everytime to play a different games.

Anythought?
    Furthermore, Crysis 2 ran the game at 24 hz on my tv. I googled it and found a suggestion to manually set the resolution to something like 1914x1076 (something close to 1080p) and 60hz in CCC. Then it fools Crysis 2 into going full screen and playing it at the proper frequency.