Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" ĦA hundred of times per day!

Default "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" ĦA hundred of times per day!

Main Hardware Information:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30 GHz
    RAM: G.Skill Ares 1600 DDR3 2x4GB (Dual Channel)
    Motherboard: Asrock P67 Pro3
    Video Card: Shappire Radeon HD 6870 1 GB GDDR5
    PSU: AeroCool Strike-X Power 600 W
    Other Hardware Information:
    Monitor: LG Flatron L1915S [19" LCD]
    HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500 GB
    Other PCI/PCI-X Cards: None
    Optical Drives: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7280S

Software Information:

Operating System: Windows 7 64 Bits
    Video Card Drivers in Use (and tried): Catalyst 12.4
    Motherboard Drivers Used: Asrock 3.10 BIOS
    Apps/Games causing issues (and if they've been patched): Various.
    System clean of viruses / spyware etc: Up to date
    I go nuts every time this annoying problem happens since I bought the PC a couple of weeks ago. I have the 6870 and it makes no difference that this reading something without touching the mouse, seeing some pictures or playing a video, the problem doesn't vanish. I have considered the AMD support site, and after upgrading the BIOS, reinstalling the drivers for the graphic card and keep up to date Windows updates still do not solve the problem. What worries me is that it can be a hardware problem (motherboard, PSU, graphic card...), so I would transact a RMA and send the entire PC (or especific components) to seller.

At this point, and having to endure this pain in the ass at least 5 times a day, I hope some of you know my bearings a little, so spare me the tantrums of the past few days. Certainly do not contemplate the option to deactivate, to name a few examples, the Windows Aero theme or hardware acceleration, even knowing that sometimes works. The logic is functioning properly at the top of performance, without patches or various odd stuffs.

Thank for your support.
    Last edited by Salinger; 06-12-2012 at 03:18 AM.

Sometimes having to do something like disable hardware acceleration is just what needs to be done ( for example with issues concerning browsers ), if you're not willing to apply any fixes because you just don't want to, then what can anybody say ?

You could also try powering the system with a decent branded PSU and not some AeroCool effort built by AndySon .. they haven't had the most spectacular of reviews across the board on any of their Srike-X series. Nor have any other AeroCool PSUs come to think of it ..

Test it in a different PC if possible, and one with a good PSU .. and then there's testing other components like DDR etc .. Those cards shouldn't give you any trouble, the drivers are pretty much stable for them by now ( I've not had issues with that card model ) ..

There's always the possibility of you having gotten a duff card, unfortunately it happens - talk to your retailer.

When you mention updating the BIOS, do you mean the VGA card's VBIOS and was it issued to you by Sapphire ?

Maybe I did not explain well enough. I wanted to say that, if possible, I would like to use all the features available.

As for the PSU, unfortunately I have no access to other than the Aerocool. It is not the best, but the budget was limited.

I updated the bios of the Asrock motherboard, no VBIOS.

PS. Sorry for the briefness. I have no much time right now.

Now I'm using the Windows drivers instead of Catalyst. So far I have not had any problem, but it just is a temporary patch. Does this mean I can rule out that the problem is caused by a hardware malfunction?

Nope, as the windows drivers do not make the card work at his full trotle, meaning the card is just not working at all.....

Regards"

HP Pavilion Notebook DV3550 ** MAXTOR PERSONAL STORAGE 3200 (500gigs) ** PS3 160G
    ĦĦĦUPGRADING IN PROGRESS!!!
    HD 7970 OC 3G DUALX........ENERMAX PLATIMAX EPM1000EWT

Nope, as the Windows driver is a generic driver with limited functionality as Ruben said ..

I'm afraid it's a bad new. The key is to know why this behaviour happens. Could be PSU, could be motherboard, could be the graphic card...People with the same problem fix it in different ways and I honestly do not know what to do or how to fix it permanently. It's very sad and anooying to buy a new PC and this mess happens.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks, folks.

Refer to post #2

I've no access to other PC. I've sought in a couple of specialized forums how solve this mess and there are several people like me (with no solutions, sadly).

I´m afraid that If you are unable to test your hardware, then your only chance is to take your computer to a repair store and make them run the tests for you... or to RMA the card, although you are on a risk if the card is not the faulty part on all this issue...

HP Pavilion Notebook DV3550 ** MAXTOR PERSONAL STORAGE 3200 (500gigs) ** PS3 160G
    ĦĦĦUPGRADING IN PROGRESS!!!
    HD 7970 OC 3G DUALX........ENERMAX PLATIMAX EPM1000EWT