Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catalyst 12.8 Driver Versions

Exclamation Catalyst 12.8 Driver Versions

AMD Catalyst 12.8 WHQL & MOD

Compatible Operating Systems

The latest version of the AMD Catalyst software suite is designed to support the following Microsoft Windows platforms:

Windows 8 32-bit version
    Windows 8 64-bit version
    Windows 7 32-bit version
    Windows 7 64-bit version
    Windows Vista 32-bit version
    Windows Vista 64-bit version
    Windows XP Professional
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Windows XP Media Center Edition
    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Feature Highlights of the AMD Catalyst 12.8:

Windows 8 support

AMD’s first logo certified driver for Windows 8 production featuring support for the DirectX® 11.1 and the new WDDM 1.2 driver model:

Target-Independent Rasterization (TIR): TIR is a new rendering path that enables superior anti-aliasing in Direct3D driver applications.

Native Stereo 3D Support: Windows 8 natively supports stereoscopic 3D gaming and videos via compatible applications.

Unified Video API:
    Video playback has been integrated into the DirectX 11 API, enabling simultaneous video and gaming content. Transcoding performance may also be improved for supporting applications.

Optimized screen rotation for rotation aware devices.

Improved sleep/resume performance.

Optimized GPU power consumption.

Support for AMD features
    AMD Eyefinity
    OpenCL™
    OpenGL
    UVD
    AMD Dual Graphics / AMD CrossFire™ Technology
    AMD Overdrive
    AMD Catalyst Control Center / Vision Engine Control Center

RESOLVED ISSUES

This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst 12.8 software suite.

Resolved Issues for the Windows 7 Operating System

Over/underscan settings are correctly restored on system reboot

SolidWorks: Graphical corruption is no longer experienced

-Crysis Warhead: No longer crashes when launched in DirectX 10 mode

-System no longer hangs when resuming from sleep mode

-Audio is no longer disabled if the connected HDTV Is switched off/on

-Enabling dual graphics mode with a HD 7000 series product no longer displays green video playback

-Call of Duty- Black Ops : No longer hangs when loading a mission in DirectX 9 mode with Crossfire enabled

-Shogun 2: Flickering text is no longer experienced

-Star Wars – The Old Republic: In game cinematics no longer experience flicker when using the arrow keys

-Dirt Showdown: 8-Ball track no longer hangs with AMD Crossfire functionality enabled

-Max Payne 3: A black screen is no longer observed when launching game in DirectX 11 mode with AMD Crossfire functionality enabled

-Max Payne 3: Applying in game settings no longer causes the game to crash

Resolved Issues for the Windows 8 Operating System (These issues were found in the Catalyst driver for the Windows 8 Preview)

Video playback using the Metro video player no longer shows green corruption

-Deus Ex - Human Revolution: Graphics corruption is no longer experienced duringin game cinematics with AMD Crossfire functionality enabled

-Battlefield 3: game no longer crashes when AMD Crossfire functionality is enabled

-Need for Speed – The Run: game no longer crashes to the desktop

Blocky video corruption no longer seen when using VLC

System no longer hangs when using PowerDVD

Green video corruption is no longer seen when using various video players

Resolved Issues for the Windows XP Operating System

QQ Dancer: A black screen is no longer randomly experienced

KNOWN ISSUES

The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced with the AMD Catalyst 12.8 software suite.

Known issues under the Windows 7 operating system

-Max Payne 3: Lights may flicker when run in Direct X 11 mode in a triple AMD Crossfire configuration

-F1 2011: Vehicle textures may flicker when graphics profile is set to low

-Enemy Territory Quake Wars: Poor performance may be experienced with AMD Crossfire technology enabled

-Rage: Poor performance may be experienced with AMD Crossfire technology enabled

Known issues under the Windows 8 operating system

Blocky corruption may be experienced when playing back Flash video content

De-interlacing settings may not be applied to interlaced content when using MPC-HC and PowerDVD

Civilization V: game may crash when run in DirectX 9 mode

Total War – Shogun 2: game may experience random crashes

Rage: game may experience random crashes

Known issues under the Windows XP operating system

Diablo 3/Starcraft 2/World of Warcraft: Performance may be affected when run in windowed mode

Get it Here -> http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa..._bottom_bucket

■Added HydraVision 4.2.236.0
    ■Added AMD Avivo Codec
    ■Added AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding 2.00.0002

■Catalyst Control Center detects all supported cards as a HD7900 Series Card for Desktop Drivers and HD7900M for Mobility Drivers

■Unlocked Temporal AA
    ■Unlocked High Quality AF
    ■Unlocked Geometry Instancing
    ■Unlocked LOD option
    ■Unlocked Adaptive Anti-Aliasing Quality Slider (can be buggy)
    ■Unlocked Test Custom Clocks and Auto-Tune options under OverDrive

■Re-included atipdlxx.dll and atipdl64.dll into the package (better support with 3rd party tools)

Get it Here -> http://benchmark3d.com/amd-catalyst-12-8-whql-7900-mod

I will install this driver and report its performance as I am still having occasional issues with my mid clock speeds being loaded at startup and I have to run a 3D app to reduce them to 2D clocks...Also I hope this one really fixes the hang on resume from standby which it so emphatically emphasizes as I have not been able to go into S3 standby for quite some time.
    -Solid
    Last edited by SolidEther; 08-22-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: fix

Intel Core i7 940-"bloomfield" 2.93Ghz @ 3.68GHz w/CM- Hyper 212 Plus(Dual)
    Gigabyte:GA-EX58-UD5_ v.f12 /Corsair XMS3 (6)GB "Tri-Channel"@1382 Mhz
    Sapphire Radeon HD6970 (2Gb) "GDDR5"_ @920Mhz-GPU/ 1400Mhz -VRAM

^-^ Once again, great write up SolidEther!! Personally I won't be using these drivers since I use XSplit (using the July 19 Beta Drivers), but at least we have confirmation that they're working on that.

■Re-included atipdlxx.dll and atipdl64.dll into the package (better support with 3rd party tools)
    Personal PC: Sapphire Pure Black X79N | CrossFireX: Sapphire HD7950 OC Edition x2 (@ 1050/1450 MHz) | i7-3960X (@ 4.4GHz) | 8GB Patriot Viper X-Treme DDR3-1600 / 8GB Samsung Green DDR3-1600 (CAS 8) | Patriot Wildfire 120GB / WD Cavier Blue 1TB / WD Cavier Blue 80GB | Thermaltake ToughPower XT Platinum 1275 Watt | Thermaltake Water2.0 Extreme (2x Corsair SP120s) | Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition | Thermaltake Black ELEMENT Mouse | Thermaltake MEKA G1 Keyboard

Default Catalyst 12.8 Observations...

Catalyst 12.8

POST INSTALLATION Remarks

By SolidEther

Greetings Forum. and thanx EWP.

After a CLEAN installation (if you do not know what that is refer to the archives) I installed the 12.8 Catalyst WHQL. I have been staying away from modded drivers since my pal KillerSneak sent DNA out to pasture to spend more time with his family as I have been doing. I never was before and it cost a lot. Anyway

I upgraded from the 12.6 AMD Catalyst to the 12.8 WHQL.

I noticed it took a few restarts to get it up an running smooth with sapphire trixX. I use TrixX because Sapphire modded its program to work with "unaltered" AMD drivers. The new TrixX functions well with AMD Catalyst 12.6 & 12.8.

Here is what I suggest and my findings.

If you use WHQL Catalyst Packages and use a Sapphire card (or other manufacturers will work) Use:

Sapphire TrixX

it has no issues with the drivers and you can use all the functions provided by your card use the LATEST TrixX 4.3.0 or later. I usually do not run TrixX during the install just to prevent some issues I have seen arise from running it during install, like not picking up the driver or improper control.

AMD did deliver on the promises I could verify...

1.) FINALLY I and hopefully many others are now able to resume without the video drivers freezing from and S3 Standby. Sleeping my rig is now a real option, no crossing my fingers .... and that worked 3 out of 10 times . I had given up on sleep and left it full on during my work or play hours. AGAIN, SLEEP , S3, Resume from Standby works... on my machine anyway... and it was stubborn about it so I assume it should work for many others.

2.)The Clocks seem to operate properly now, while sometimes I notice they stay stuck in mode 2 of 3..at startup it is infrequent.

State one----2D 250 Mhz-GPU 150 Mhz-MEM Normal operation
    State two----2D 500 Mhz-GPU 1375 Mhz-MEM HTML 5,Flash,browser
    State three -3D 880Mhz-GPU 1375Mhz-MEM Full on

If this does happen, (rarely) rn a 3D app close and it all returns normal??? Strange bug, but that is a fix in the meantime. Some 3D apps do not work however I use Heaven DX 11 Benchmark it always does the trick.

Performance

I am no Benchmarker So I can not give you FPS and graphs and all that tech data. I have not the time or effort needed to do so. Got To BM3D for some good benches. The link is above in the previous post.

I will say that I ran it through various test s like the AVP bench, Shogun 2 Bench, ran it through Heaven DX11, and other D3D tests, like Furmark, Tessmark, etc, and all seem to par with previous and smoother in some previously laggy spots on the HD6970 2GB.

The Game performance I will post after I test some popular games, I play Crysis, Crysis 2, BAtman Arkham Asylum & City, Dragon age, Titles, Witcher, Witcher 2, Dirt 3, Grid, Borderlands, Rage, Call of Duty rarely and they all worked fine on 12.6 so I expect similar or increase possibly from 12.8, It says a crossfire issue exists with Rage so I always check that the single GPU is not affected. It is and RAGE is one of the only heavy duty OPEN GL titles that is notoriously driver picky, so if it runs OPEN GL titles should be fine...I will post that after I run through them. BATMAN Titles and CRYSIS 2 work well as do Witcher and Dragon Age... I play these most.

Stability

Seems to hold well, Overclocks do not drop. Sensoring and Hardware programs respond properly and no crashing at all so far. Stuttering and lagging are not outside the range of normal tolerance. I notice very little even on high settings.

*Other Issues*

Sorry (late Addition) Unfortunately This driver package reads as 12.6 and the driver packaging version is the same as 12.6. The drivers are indeed updated however, the other elements -Direct3D, OpenGL, & CCC are all updated to the 12.8 numerical designations. No real affect just a small annoyance.

Conclusion

It works and it is improved..

Later.
    Thanx....Solid
    Last edited by SolidEther; 08-24-2012 at 02:57 AM. Reason: addition

1.) FINALLY I and hopefully many others are now able to resume without the video drivers freezing from and S3 Standby. Sleeping my rig is now a real option, no crossing my fingers .... and that worked 3 out of 10 times . I had given up on sleep and left it full on during my work or play hours. AGAIN, SLEEP , S3, Resume from Standby works... on my machine anyway... and it was stubborn about it so I assume it should work for many others.

Urgggh... Come on 12.9. Come out tomorrow and have the XSplit fix please!!
    Personal PC: Sapphire Pure Black X79N | CrossFireX: Sapphire HD7950 OC Edition x2 (@ 1050/1450 MHz) | i7-3960X (@ 4.4GHz) | 8GB Patriot Viper X-Treme DDR3-1600 / 8GB Samsung Green DDR3-1600 (CAS 8) | Patriot Wildfire 120GB / WD Cavier Blue 1TB / WD Cavier Blue 80GB | Thermaltake ToughPower XT Platinum 1275 Watt | Thermaltake Water2.0 Extreme (2x Corsair SP120s) | Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition | Thermaltake Black ELEMENT Mouse | Thermaltake MEKA G1 Keyboard

Exclamation See Above

*Other Issues*

Sorry (late Addition) Unfortunately This driver package reads as 12.6 and the driver packaging version is the same as 12.6. The drivers are indeed updated however, the other elements -Direct3D, OpenGL, & CCC are all updated to the 12.8 numerical designations. No real affect just a small annoyance.

I added this above to the main post but I thought it may be overlooked.

I will be posting more info based on any observations made during in game testing.

-Solid
    Last edited by SolidEther; 08-24-2012 at 02:56 AM.

Thumbs up Further Observations

Real Gameplay Testing

I can say this driver is actually a very good driver. Probably one of the better drivers released in some time. That is saying a lot. First of all this is THE BEST Rage driver I have seen in non-crossfire. I have seen a much smoother less laggy and very minimal chopping in this rather buggy game. It is now completely playable. To the point of very little visual distractions. Good RAGE driver. Triple Filtering works well in this one too.

Crysis 2 has less pop in on Ultra settings and high resolutions are a breeze with all the effects maxed. The driver is just very good. Smooth and keeps the frame rates smooth in intense action. Also in the BATMAN ARKHAM titles ...same. Dirt 3 and Grid, well everything I threw at it nothing failed. Everything was on the ball.

With this driver allowing sleep (S3 Suspend) recovery without fail so far, and a definately noticable smoother and quicker response to some heavy graphic pushing titles, I say it is a very good offering from AMD.

I will say it. I like this driver and I will use it until ??? Its good I won't change it until I really need to for whatever reason.

Way to go AMD. Good Job on this one I say.

Behind 7 Proxies, and a Tor Station on the Moon

Greetings all,

Just here to say after using this 12.8 driver for some time it is one hell of a stable driver..

1.) The Sleep, s3 resume function is totally OPERATIONAL.. hasn't malfunctioned once. TOTAL SCORE AMD! you did good on this. This is REAL!

2.) NOTE: IF you use SAPPHIRE TrixX Do not have it set to automatically launch with windows in the settings. it has a tendency to launch before the CCC and the Video transcoding services and this causes either ocassional instability or Clock issues. Just let all load up then manually Launch TrixX and all is perfect smooth.

THIS IS A GOOD DRIVER!

Oh, and Tactical that SC2 quote was on time.... Check your messages/ invites. You have been invited to join SolidState and we would like your membership. Consider it!
    thank you for your time..

-SolidEther
    Head Founder- SolidState
    Last edited by SolidEther; 09-18-2012 at 05:49 AM. Reason: fix

Quote Originally Posted by SolidEther View Post
    Oh, and Tactical that SC2 quote was on time.... Check your messages/ invites. You have been invited to join SolidState and we would like your membership. Consider it!
    thank you for your time..
    I aprove, LOL
    Also Solid, we should also send an invitation to EWP

HP Pavilion Notebook DV3550 ** MAXTOR PERSONAL STORAGE 3200 (500gigs) ** PS3 160G
    ¡¡¡UPGRADING IN PROGRESS!!!
    HD 7970 OC 3G DUALX........ENERMAX PLATIMAX EPM1000EWT

Head Member,

I already did, I believe. I will double check. I agree completely Rubenoa. Also. I still have to whip up some sig Banners for the newbies to the STATE!

-SolidEther
    Head Founder- SolidState