Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 13.1 bugs/errors using Phtoshop CS6

Default AMD Catalyst 13.1 bugs Photoshop CS6 *solution1 = user tweaked drv **2 = beta 13.2.7

AMD Catalyst 13.1 driver problems in combination with Photoshop CS6 version 13.01.1

Main Hardware Information:
    CPU: Intel i7 3770K
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb (4x4Gb) DDR3 1866 Mhz (low profile)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO
    Video: Sapphire HD 7770 GHz VAPOR-X OC 1Gb GDDR5
    PSU: Cooler Master M2 Silent Pro 620 Watt

Other Hardware Information :
    Monitor: Eizo FlexScan S2031W
    HDD/SSDs: 1x SSD Intel 520 / 120Gb, 2x SSD Samsung 840 Pro / 128Gb, HDD: Western Digital black 1Tb
    Other PCI/PCI-X Cards: extra Asmedia PCI card 2 ports SATA 600
    Optical Drives: Lite-On BlueRay reader/writer

Software Information:
    Operating System : Windows 8 / 64bit
    Graphics Card Driver: AMD Catalyst v13.1 ----> do give annoying problems
    Previous graphics drv: AMD Catalyst v12.10 --> less problems (but could be better)

Motherboard chip-set drivers, SATA, RAID, WAN, LAN: all basic drivers LATEST VERSIONS
    Apps/Games causing issues ( and if they've been patched ): No games installed
    System clean of viruses / spyware etc: basic clean install ** protected

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROBLEM REPORT:

I have just build a new PC, including Windows 8 and installed Photoshop CS6 - 64-bit

Error 1 (very annoying):
    When loading images, I get a sort of clipping warning within the image, for the regions that do contain a value of 0 (0-255) at least if it is in one of the RGB channels. E.g. a reasonable dark blue area RGB values = 0, 4, 93 the area within the image changes to a totally black. More or less comparable as seen by tools for out of gamut warning or clipping. Just picking up the the outlined box of an image by mouse and dragging the image just a tiny bit to another area of the screen, the black "clipping" disappears and image is seen normal, as long as I have pushed the mouse button (as for dragging). As soon if I release the mouse-button, I do get the clipped black color again.

If I edit the image by change of the levels just by one digit (RGB = 1, 4, 93), the clipping black area is corrected and image is seen normally.

Error 2
    Zooming in or out fast, using scroll wheel of the mouse, or e.g. by using "Control plus 0" and "Control plus Alt plus 0", Control plus / Control minus
    Several times you get flashing of the surround dark grey background to a white and light grey "checkerboard" area. I can imagine that fast zooming a graphic card has some difficulties with it, but I didn't expect that it doesn't keep track just what I am doing manually. It is not a game for rendering 60 images a second.

The flashing, OK, I can live with that if the situation end with a normal dark grey background. More annoying is that in several occasions randomly the screen ends by the white and light grey "checkerboard" area. I have to point once to the image to correct. If it is the pointer tool, not that big problem, much more if it was just a brush or editing tool.

Error 3 (very annoying):
    When zooming in- and out fast, the most annoying thing is that in several occasions the image randomly change a little bit in color. The character of the color seems to be changed as if color profiles are changed. E.g. an Adobe RGB image seen within an sRGB color space, washing out / de-saturating the colors. Just pointing to the image again, it is corrected.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SORTING OUT POSSIBILITIES:

To find out and to be very sure where the problems are (there could be several options), I made several steps to exclude.

- First step.
    I took out the extra installed graphic card (Sapphire HD-7770 Vapor-X), and hooked the monitor to the DVI port of the internal Intel GPU 4000 of the Ivy Bridge i7 3770 processor. In spite the Intel GPU is not that sophisticated (e.g. no support of CS6 3-D section), PROBLEMS SOLVED.

So I know quite sure it is a problem of the AMD 7770 graphic card / driver

- Second step.
    Placed back again the Sapphire graphic card into the PC.
    Recovered an image/back-up (using Acronis True Image) of a more early pure base installation of Window 8 without any extra AMD drivers installed yet like Catalyst. So system is clean. No left-overs un-installing drivers.
    Base AMD graphic driver as included within Windows-8 CD itself, is used for the Sapphire card.
    ---> AMD version 8.97.10.6 (date 19-6-2012)
    Installed Photoshop CS6. By the base drivers some options can not be used (3-D).
    But for normal image editing, I can use the same examples as before.
    NO PROBLEMS

- Third step.
    Installed "Hydravision" driver 12.10 as enclosed with Sapphire card, but within the setup, un-checking the Hydravioson part itself, as this only do give more desktops. I don't need that.
    NO PROBLEMS

- Fourth step.
    Installed the more comprehensive "Catalyst" driver 12.10
    - AMD Catalyst installation manager - 8.0.891.0
    - NOT installed AMD APP SDK
    - AMD graphics driver - 9.002.0.0000
    - HDMI audio driver - 8.0.0.8808
    - AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding - 12.5.100.20928
    - Catalyst Control Center - 2012.0928.1532.26058
    NO PROBLEMS However some tiny flashing of the surround background in white and light grey "checkerboard" area when zooming in- or out. Mostly no problems of exchange of color of the image as described above (only once when tested). I can work with it, but reliability could be better IMO.

- Fifth step.
    Installed the latest "Catalyst" driver 13.1
    - AMD Catalyst installation manager - 8.0.903.0
    - NOT installed AMD APP SDK
    - AMD graphics driver - 9.012.0.0000
    - HDMI audio driver - 8.0.0.8809
    - AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding - 12.5.100.21219
    - Catalyst Control Center - 2012.1219.1521.27485
    PROBLEMS as described before.
    Flashing more extensive when zooming in- or out in comparison to the previous driver plus randomly exchange of color plus "clipping" error.

I tried to change some settings within the Catalyst Control Center, as for 3-D and anti-aliasing settings, refreshing rates, without luck to the described problems.

I went back to "Catalyst" driver 12.10 as this is at least a workable set-up.

Question:
    As it is an AMD problem in first degree, should I write this story at AMD forum, or does Sapphire support take contact to AMD itself, to solve these problems as it involved with their graphic cards?
    Last edited by Babylonia; 03-20-2013 at 12:38 PM.
    Greetings, Babylonia

GPU: Sapphire HD-7770 Vapor-X, MB: Asus P8Z77-V PRO, i7 3770K, Corsair Vengeance 16Gb RAM, Intel SSD 520, 2x SSD Samsung 840 Pro, BlueRay: LiteON R/W, HD: WD Black 1TB, PSU: 620W - 12v 50A...........

Searching by Google to more information I found an alternative driver, tweaked / changed by a user himself.
    Found at a forum called Guru3D.com

The driver is appointed / designated as Catalyst version 13.3 ----> Remark: This version number is given by the person himself at time of release, but does not correspond with later "official" released AMD 13.3 beta versions. (Read further more below).

See message at Guru3D.com: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=375988
    Remark what is written about Windows 8, as the driver is not certified, you have to boot Windows without certification check for proper installing. (Restart Windows 8 including Shift key pressed).

I downloaded and installed this version.
    Seems the real Guru's can be found between the users of PC's and graphic cards themselves.
    Wauw, this driver did the trick. Correction of all the previous errors in the best way. Very smooth running, even not flashing the background area to white/grey checkerboard when zooming in and out. No false color. Fast and reliable, also smooth 3-D rendering within Photoshop Extended version.

For people not familiar how to install without certify check in Windows 8, here the way to do.

We have to reboot the system in the not used certification control mode. As my mother language is not English, either my Win8 system, it could be that the description is not exactly as found in your system. My apology.
    - Go to the right side of the screen to close the system
    - ON / OFF
    - Restart button, but hold down SHIFT KEY at same time
    - You get a new screen where you can choose several options for reboot
    - Choose middle option "Solving Problems"
    - next, LAST section (out of three) "Advanced Options"
    - next, LAST section (out of five) "Starting Options" (giving a list what are the possibilities)
    - RESTART
    - AFTER real booting / restarting choose for option:
    7) "Usage of Program Certification Switch OFF" ---> booting further in that choice

After you are in again in Window 8, you can install this driver. There comes a message window if you want to install anyway, say yes, and driver shall be installed.

EDIT 1
    As by suggestion of one of the posters at Guru3D.com more below in the thread.
    Looking to the 13.2 Beta 7 driver of Calalyst at AMD. This seems to have some minor updated driver versions for sound e.d. as in comparison to the user tweaked 13.3 version. Graphics driver seems to be the same at this moment.
    If somebody do like a Beta version over this above one, you can download by AMD:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...w_vista64.aspx
    I tried this version too, and it is running in the same smooth way as the user tweaked version. Only I found a better small general image example within Catalyst Control Center under Video settings. (As example to tweak contrast, brightness etc.).

EDIT 2
    It seems the beta driver at AMD website is updated already to a more later version (version march 15, 2013).
    13.3 Beta 2 (as in opposite of previous mentioned version at "edit 1" = 13.2 Beta 7 ).
    As AMD write for beta drivers: "This driver is provided "AS IS" and under the terms and conditions of the End User License Agreement provided therewithin."

DON'T make use of driver version 13.3 Beta 2 !!!
    As it gives problems for Photoshop CS6 again -----> 3-D functionality doesn't work at all (tools not accessible), no animated zoom.
    If users still are interested for the previous Beta driver version 13.2 Beta 7, you can download still from another AMD "history" web-page:
    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...etadriver.aspx
    This version plus the tweaked version found at Guru3D.com are the only versions yet that run smoothly for Photoshop CS6.
    (No experience what it does on games, as I don't play games, and are not installed at my mobo).

Did report AMD on their website about experienced issues for driver version 13.3 Beta 2
    Last edited by Babylonia; 03-20-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    Greetings, Babylonia

GPU: Sapphire HD-7770 Vapor-X, MB: Asus P8Z77-V PRO, i7 3770K, Corsair Vengeance 16Gb RAM, Intel SSD 520, 2x SSD Samsung 840 Pro, BlueRay: LiteON R/W, HD: WD Black 1TB, PSU: 620W - 12v 50A...........

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Babylonia View Post
    Did report AMD on their website about experienced issues for driver version 13.3 Beta 2
    Well, AMD has a very quick support !!!
    As I yesterday reported the issues about driver version 13.3 Beta 2.
    Later that evening the issue is resolved !!!

They have put version 13.3 Beta 3 on-line on their website already now (march 20, 2013).
    Resolves OpenGL application issues seen with the AMD Catalyst 13.3 Beta2 driver.
    Documented page and download: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...etaDriver.aspx

However, people who have installed the previous faulty version 13.3 Beta 2 can have some problems when updating to the 13.3 Beta 3 version, as it leaves some residual left-over parts somewhere in the system of the faulty driver-code when de-installing the driver. I had to recover a previous OS system backup (made by Acronis True image) for clean system, to get rid of faulty parts. After that, and installing the latest 13.3 Beta 3 driver, CS6 runs without errors again.

List of AMD drivers yet that has a smooth running for Photoshop CS6
    (for proper working of games, do read the documented update reports of the specific driver versions).

User tweaked 13.'3' version found at Guru3D.com
    13.2 Beta 7 ----> documented web-page AMD
    13.3 Beta 3 ----> documented web-page AMD
    Last edited by Babylonia; 03-21-2013 at 06:55 AM.
    Greetings, Babylonia

Thanks for the info @Babylonia, great AMD hear us"

HP Pavilion Notebook DV3550 ** MAXTOR PERSONAL STORAGE 3200 (500gigs) ** PS3 160G
    ¡¡¡UPGRADING IN PROGRESS!!!
    HD 7970 OC 3G DUALX........ENERMAX PLATIMAX EPM1000EWT

By looking at "driver-site" omegadrivers.net I was attended that there are still several other driver beta 13 versions on-line.

For completeness of the list:

AMD / ATI driver versions (older date going down, latest at top).
    Catalyst 13.3 Beta 3 ----> http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/AMD...13.3_Beta3.exe ----> CS6 Working GOOD (tested)
    Catalyst 13.3 Beta 2 ----> http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/AMD...13.3_Beta2.exe ----> DON'T USE THIS ONE / ERRORS ! ! !
    Catalyst 13.2 Beta 7 ----> http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/AMD...13.2_Beta7.exe ----> CS6 Working GOOD (tested)
    Catalyst 13.2 Beta 6 ----> http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/AMD...13.2_Beta6.exe
    Catalyst 13.2 Beta 5 ----> http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/AMD...13.2_Beta5.exe
    Catalyst 13.2 Beta 4 ----> http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/AMD...13.2_Beta4.exe
    Catalyst 13.2 Beta 3 ----> http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/AMD...13.2_Beta3.exe
    Last edited by Babylonia; 03-22-2013 at 01:20 AM.
    Greetings, Babylonia

Actually AMD forgot to put one DLL in the installer, just by coping ATIGPU.DLL to sys 32 works fine, Adobe Premiere was giving the same issue.

Sorry Fallen_Crow, this is not really true, in the Adobe forums there are users replying that after copying the DLL into sys 32, they still have the same issue....it looks to me that the issue lies in the catalysts themself.

HP Pavilion Notebook DV3550 ** MAXTOR PERSONAL STORAGE 3200 (500gigs) ** PS3 160G

Quote Originally Posted by Rubenoa View Post
    Sorry Fallen_Crow, this is not really true, in the Adobe forums there are users replying that after copying the DLL into sys 32, they still have the same issue....it looks to me that the issue lies in the catalysts themself.
    Im a heavy Adobe Premiere user, after updating to the beta which holds the problem i couldn't use it, placed the missing DLL (you have one for WIN 32 under syswow or another one for WIN 64) worked like a charm.

If you don't belive it it's your problem.

The missing DLL screwed it up on openGL programs.

You again missundertand my words and you still seem you have a personal problem with me.
    For the last time @Fallen_Crow, what I said (and read again my post) it´s that plenty of ADobe users have reported in their forum that even copying the DLL file into their sys 32 folder did not improve their issue....I didn´t say it does not work with you or others that reported this workaround.....

Next time, I´m giving you a warning in the forums......

Regards"
    Last edited by Rubenoa; 03-23-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubenoa View Post
    You again missundertand my words and you still seem you have a personal problem with me.
    For the last time @Fallen_Crow, what I said (and read again my post) it´s that plenty of ADobe users have reported in their forum that even copying the DLL file into their sys 32 folder did not improve their issue.... not just it does not work with you or others that reported the fix.....

Next time, I´m giving you a warning in the forums......

Regards"
    You are the one with the personal problem lol, im just giving my experencie with PS and Premiere which both had the failure told.

What user haven't checked is that you got 2 folders for the DLL one syswow and the other sys32.